TESL/TEFL Advanced Certificate

The Advanced Certificate in Teaching English as a Second and Foreign Language is directed at individuals in the following groups with an interest in ESL/EFL teaching, provided they have the required background:

  • Graduate students from any major
  • Community members with an interest in advanced study of applied linguistics
  • In-service ESL/EFL teachers interested in advancing their understanding of teaching methodologies, language acquisition, and curriculum design
  • Subject-matter teachers of students who speak languages other than English interested in advanced study of applied linguistics
  • ESL/EFL program administrators interested in advanced study of curriculum design and teaching methodology

Individuals who hold the Advanced Certificate are qualified to teach ESL/EFL in a variety of situations:

  • in community college ESL/EFL programs
  • in adult schools
  • in private ESL/EFL schools
  • in university ESL/EFL institutes
  • in business
  • in a wide range of overseas locations

Advanced Certificate holders may also be qualified to administer ESL/EFL programs. The Advanced Certificate is not a master's degree. However, the required coursework can be part of a master's program in linguistics. You must already have completed the Basic Certificate (or equivalent) before you will be admitted into the Advanced Certificate program.

Learn more about the program by visiting our Program Requirements page or our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page.

How to apply for the certficate program?

Fill out a Certificate Enrollment Form and return it to Certificate in TESL/TEFL, Department of Linguistics and Asian/Middle Eastern Languages, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182-7727.

You must also be admitted to San Diego State University through the regular application process. You can register, and pay for, courses for the Advanced Certificate in two ways:

  1. as a graduate candidate for a master's degree, taking the courses as electives, or
  2. as an unclassified graduate student (that is, one not pursuing a degree) seeking the Certificate only.